Market Estate is situated next to Caledonian Park in the London Borough of Islington. It is named after the Metropolitan Cattle Market, opened by Prince Albert in 1855 as an alternative to Smithfield. A major redevelopment includes a mix of residential units. As part of this scheme, significant improvements were made to Caledonian Park: planting new trees and relaying paths.
A Modena railing fence surrounds the formal landscaping and a children’s play area within the park and encloses an additional garden to the North.
Over 450m of standard and radiused fencing was supplied with double-leaf and pedestrian gates. A pair of bespoke gates were designed and manufactured to hang within stone pillars with a section of Modena-XL, 3m high fencing, to either side. This forms an impressive entrance towards the Victorian Clock Tower, the clock is noted for being a prototype for Big Ben.
Finish: hot-dip galvanised & polyester powder coat – Mica Grey
Architect: Watkins Gray International
Main Contractor: Higgins Construction